Bonfire safety tips
Bonfires are a popular outdoor activity that can bring people together for a night of fun and relaxation. It's important to prioritize safety when building and enjoying a bonfire. A bonfire can quickly turn into a dangerous situation if proper safety measures are not taken.
- Choose the right location: When selecting the location for your bonfire, make sure to choose an area that is at least 25 feet away from any structures or combustible materials. This includes buildings, trees, bushes, and anything else that can easily catch fire. Also, ensure that the area is flat and level to prevent the fire from spreading.
- Clear the area around the bonfire: Before lighting the fire, clear the area around the bonfire of any debris, such as dry leaves, sticks, or branches. This will prevent sparks from igniting any nearby materials.
- Use an appropriate container: When building a bonfire, use a container that is made of metal or brick. This will prevent the fire from spreading beyond the container. Never use a container made of plastic, as it can melt and cause the fire to spread.
- Keep water or a fire extinguisher nearby: In case of an emergency, make sure to have a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher nearby. This will help you quickly extinguish the fire if it gets out of control.
- Don't use accelerants: Never use accelerants, such as gasoline or lighter fluid, to start a bonfire. This can cause an explosion or a sudden flare-up, which can be dangerous.
- Attend to the fire at all times: Never leave a bonfire unattended, especially if there are children or pets around. Assign a responsible person to monitor the fire at all times and make sure that it remains under control.
- Extinguish the fire properly: When you're done with the bonfire, make sure to extinguish the fire completely. Pour water over the fire and stir the ashes to ensure that there are no hot spots that could reignite the fire.
Bonfires can be a fun activity, but it's important to prioritize safety to prevent accidents or injuries.
We service Needham Junction, Needham, Newton Highlands, Newton Lower Falls, Newton Upper Falls, Thompsonville, Waban, and Wellesley, MA
SERVPRO Of Newton Wellesley is The #1 Choice in Cleanup and Restoration for residential and commercial buildings’ fire, mold, water, and storm damage.