Mold in Children's Bath Toys?
“Rubber ducky you’re the one, you make bath time lots of fun,” Ernie sings in the bathtub on Sesame Street. No, sadly Ernie, rubber ducky is not the one to make bath time fun. Parents you may enjoy singing the song with your little ones but keep the ducky out of the bath water. Pediatricians are warning parents to be more careful in their selection of playtime toys for the tub. Would you hand your child a sandwich made with moldy bread? Of course not. Well, we should be just as prudent when buying toys for bath time. If the bath toy has a hole in it and squirts water, it should remain in the store. Parents have complained that when their child squeezes these toys in the water, the plastic whale isn’t shooting water out of the blowhole but oozing a black liquid. This is not innocent darkly colored water, it is mold. If a child ingests mold, there is risk of illness, maybe an upset stomach or perhaps a more serious problem if the child has a mold allergy. Instead of rubber/plastic toys, give your child cups, buckets and toys with no openings. Completely drying the toys after each use will further ensure safe use. For those things that go into your child’s mouth, sippy cups and teething rings, be aware that they are big culprits too and must be carefully inspected and discarded when necessary.
If you see signs of mold growing in the bathroom around the shower or bathtub, contact SERVPRO FRAMINGHAM or SERVPRO NEWTON/WELLESLEY. We are trained mold damage specialists who will come in and quickly get your home or business back to a safe and healthy environment. We have the specific training and certifications to handle your restoration needs that include an Applied Microbial Remediation Specialist, a Water Damage Restoration Technician, and an Applied Structural Drying Technician.
When you are dealing with this serious issue you want the most highly skilled specialists in the field and that is SERVPRO.