Recent General Posts
Prepping for the Fall!
It is important to clean your gutters after all the leaves have fallen!
Fall foliage is beautiful, but not when it builds up in your gutters! Take these tips into account during the cool autumn months.
- Have your furnace cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified technician.
- Keep flammable materials, including all lawn and power equipment, away from water heaters and wiring in the basement.
- Insulate water pipes in areas exposed to cold temperatures, and turn up the thermostat during extra cold periods.
- Check for damage to your roof, and clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating. This is especially important during the fall season to keep leaves from building up in gutters.
- Check and repair caulking around doors and windows that show signs of deterioration.
- Check caulking around showers, bathtubs, sinks and toilet bases; and make repairs as needed.
- Have your chimney cleaned and maintained annually by a professional.
- Clean and/or replace your furnace filter.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space under the dryer. Remove all lint, dust, and pieces of material.
- Check your electrical outlets for potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs. Be sure not to overload electrical outlets, fuse boxes, extension cords or any other power service.
- Keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher accessible, filled and ready for operation.
- Inspect your smoke detectors. Make sure there is one on each floor of your home. Test them monthly, and change the battery annually or as needed.
SERVPRO of Newton/Wellesley is here 24/7 to assist with any emergency needs. Contact our office at 617-332-9000 so we can make it "Like it never even happened".
SERVPRO Framingham Expands Territory
David Kurzontkowski, owner of SERVPRO of Framingham that services Ashland, Hopkinton, Holliston, Sudbury, as well as Framingham, has recently expanded his territory and now services the towns of Newton, Wellesley, Chestnut Hill, and Needham. David, a licensed general contractor, has acquired the most skilled and professional staff in the Metro West area of Boston. His professional staff collectively has over 30 years of experience in the restoration industry. While the office headquarters is located in Hopkinton, highly skilled technicians are on call and ready to report to work sites all over the region to serve clients with immediate needs. Both SERVPRO of Framingham and SERVPRO of Newton/Wellesley offer 24-hour emergency services to assist with fire, water, and storm damage, as well as commercial and residential restoration, mold remediation, and on site cleaning services.
SERVPRO of Newton/Wellesley - 4 Insurance Mistakes to Avoid!
SERVPRO of Newton/Wellesley - (4) Insurance Mistakes to Avoid... (and Still Save Money)
Avoid these common mistakes and you're on your way to getting the best insurance for your needs and budget.
Saving money feels good. And shopping around when you’re looking for insurance coverage is a great way to do it. However, simply reducing your coverage or dropping important coverages altogether is like diet without exercise—focused only on numbers, not on results. Don’t risk ending up dangerously underinsured and on the hook for much bigger bills in the event of a disaster.
Following are the four most common home, flood, and renters insurance mistakes people make, along with suggestions to avert those pitfalls while still saving money (we call them, “better ways to save”)
1. Insuring a home for its real estate value rather than for the cost of rebuilding. When real estate prices go down, some homeowners may think they can reduce the amount of insurance on their home. But insurance is designed to cover the cost of rebuilding, not the sales price of the home. You should make sure that you have enough coverage to completely rebuild your home and replace your belongings—no matter what the real estate market is doing.
A better way to save: Raise your deductible. An increase from $500 to $1,000 could save up to 25 percent on your premium payments.
2. Selecting an insurance company by price alone. It is important to choose a company with competitive prices. But be sure the insurer you choose is financially sound and provides good customer service.
A better way to save: Check the financial health of a company with independent rating agencies (some well-known ones: A.M. Best, Moody's), and ask friends and family members about their experiences with insurers. Select an insurance company that will respond to your needs and handle claims fairly and efficiently.
3. Dropping flood insurance. Damage from flooding is not covered under standard homeowners and renters insurance policies. Coverage is available from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), as well as from some private insurance companies. You may not be aware you’re at risk for flooding, but keep in mind that 25 percent of all flood losses occur in low risk areas. Furthermore, yearly weather patterns—spring runoff from melting winter snows, for example—can cause flooding.
A better way to save: Before purchasing a home, check with the NFIP to determine whether a property is situated in a flood zone; if so, you may want to consider a less risky area. If you are already living in a designated flood zone, look at mitigation efforts that can reduce your risk of flood damage and consider purchasing flood insurance. Additional information on flood insurance can be found at www.FloodSmart.gov.
4. Neglecting to buy renters insurance. A renters insurance policy covers your possessions and additional living expenses if you have to move out due to an insured disaster, such as a fire or hurricane. Equally important, it provides liability protection in the event someone is injured in your home and decides to sue.
A better way to save: Look into multi-policy discounts. Buying several policies with the same insurer, such as renters, auto, and life will generally provide savings.
SERVPRO of NEWTON/WELLESLEY is ready to assist 24/7 with any disaster situation homeowners or renters face. In the event of a fire/water/mold emergency you can count on the team of SERVPRO of NEWTON/WELLESLEY to "make it like it never even happened." Contact our office at 617-332-9000.
Above info is from the Insurance Information Institute.
SERVPRO of NEWTON/WELLESLEY - Safety Tips for Summer Vacations
As you make plans to visit the beach, hike in the mountains, or take a road trip, consider your home’s safety before you go. Burglars prefer to target homes that look empty because it makes the process easier for them. With that in mind, it’s important to make it look like your home is occupied while you’re gone. Along with all the other items on the “to-do” list before you go out of town, don’t forget these five steps for securing your home:
1. Hold Your Mail
A pile of unopened mail and unread newspapers announces to a would-be burglar that your home is empty and ready for intruders. Before you go out of town, call your local post office and ask them to hold your mail. Alternatively, you can even do it online at USPS.com. You’ll also want to call your newspaper service to stop delivery until you return.
2. Trick Potential Intruders
Make it look like someone’s home when you’re out having fun. Here are some ways to outsmart crooks:
- Time lights and electronics. You can time your lights, television, and other electronics to turn on and off throughout the day. You want your lights to look natural, as if someone’s home. Avoid leaving your lights on the entire time you are gone. This will not only increase your electric bill, but it’s also suspicious, since most people don’t leave lights on all the time when they’re home.
- Hire a landscaper. If you’re going to be out of town for a week or more, hire someone to mow your lawn and trim your hedges, so it looks like someone’s around and doing the yard work.
- Have a neighbor park out front. Tell a trustworthy neighbor when you’re going to be out of town, and ask them to park a car in front of your house to make it look like someone’s home.
3. Ask Neighbors to Keep an Eye Out
Friendly neighbors can be an important line of defense against intruders. Tell your neighbors how long you’ll be gone and ask them to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity at your house. If your neighbors know you’re gone, then if they see or hear someone at your home, they will know something is probably amiss and they can contact the authorities.
4. Avoid Social Media
While it may be tempting to share photos on Facebook or tweet about your airport adventures, consider holding off on vacation-related posts. Those you are connected to online are typically your friends, but you never know when your information will get into the wrong hands. A friend of a friend may see your status update and know that your home is vulnerable. Double-check your safety and security settings on social media, and consider waiting to post about your adventures until you get back.
5. Nix the Spare Key
If your home is being targeted, the first thing a criminal will look for is a spare key. He will look in the standard places: a conspicuous plastic rock, under the mat, or above the door. Putting a spare key in an easy-to-spot location is like handing your keys over to an intruder. If you’re going on vacation, think about removing the spare key all together until you are home, or leave a key with a neighbor.
If you take precautions before going on vacation, then you can relax instead of worrying about the state of your home while you’re gone.
Have a safe and happy summer from the team at SERVPRO of NEWTON/WELLESLEY.
UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT
Great news! SERVPRO of FRAMINGHAM, that has been serving the communities of the Metrowest area since 1987, has recently purchased SERVPRO of NEWTON/WELLESLEY. Our dedicated team of highly trained technicians are prepared to handle the emergency restoration and cleanup needs of Newton, Needham, Wellesley, and the surrounding communities. We are available 24/7 to respond to emergencies and disasters for both residential and commericial properties. No loss is too large or too small for us to handle. Our experienced staff is available to assist you regardless of the type of loss. Our main concern is to make sure we handle your loss promptly and make it "Like it never even happened."